Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday morning's all right for fighting...

Fine. Afternoon.

Too long has it been since I've blogged properly. It seems the small amount I do nowadays is all about posting video or prose or something to www.stompingground.ca and even THAT has been some thin treacle of late.

I've gone pdcast crazy. Right now I'm listening to the entire Kevin Smith Smodcast network pods (there's, like, five or six of 'em now - www.smodcast.com), and have just singed on to Brian Lynch's "Party Truck USA" pod. http://www.angrynakedpat.com/podcast/

I love 'em all, but I gotta say - that Party Truck has really captured my imagination. It comes off as a cross between prepared improv and genuine off-the-top-of-one's-head banter. The pod features a lightly rotating cast of four to six guys. Mostly friends from Jersey now living in LA, and most of them are ex- (or current) comedy improv players.

Lynch himself (writer / director "Big Helium Dog", and comics writer ("Spike: Asylum", and um, that other Spike book. With puppets. That one.) is the unchanging core of the group. Any further details would only serve to better derail the point I'm slowly trying to make.

Wait. Was there a point? Hm. Maybe not. Maybe this IS just one giant loving ass-kiss to my newest favourite podcast. With more than a tinge of jealousy that there exists a group of writers / film-makers / comedians, and all I have is a cat, a collection of action figures, and you, dear internet. Thank god and baby jesus for you.

Okay - quick solo improv game. Fake podcast intro - two hosts, and... GO!

Host 1: "Hello, and welcome to the Fake podcast, episode one. I'm one of your hosts, Fakey McFakerton, and with me as always is the lovable, wacky, Falsey Falsetein. Say hi Falsey."

Host 2: -honks horn-

Host 1: "Really? Again with the horn?"

Host 2: -honk-

Host 1: "Godamnit, Falsey, you said you weren't gonna do this again."

Host 2: -honk- -honk-

Host 1: "No one wants to listen to that, man! You sound like a fucking idiot. I swear, if you don't put down that godamn horn, I'm gonna go across this table at you."

Host 2: -honk-

Host 1: "That's it, you sonuva..." -indistinct struggling noises-.

Aaaaand... scene!

Okay, so maybe I'm not so much missing out.

-g-

Follow me on twitter - @case71

No comments:

Post a Comment